The purpose of this code is to set forth principles of practice the COA feels its members should strive for with the intent of preserving the Chinook dog. The following represents a guideline to the minimum in ethical practices. It is written with the understanding that most people want to do the right thing. Therefore, above all, individuals should attend to the "spirit" of the Code, using the letter of the Code as guidance.
1. I agree to abide by and uphold the principles of the Constitution and Bylaws of the Chinook Owners Association, Inc. (COA) and the rules and regulations of the United Kennel Club (U.K.C.) to the best of my ability.
2. I agree that when confronted by a situation not specifically covered by this Code, I will treat other people, as I would like to be treated under similar circumstances.
1. I agree to keep all Chinooks under my care in sanitary conditions, giving inoculations and worming, including heartworm prevention, as recommended by local veterinary authorities.
2. I agree to practice responsible pet ownership by not allowing my pet to roam, keeping it leashed where there are leash laws, preventing annoying and unnecessary barking, and cleaning up after it in public and private places.
3. I agree to tend to the mental and physical well being of my Chinook. I will not leave my Chinook confined or without human contact for excessive periods of time. I will provide my Chinook with ample physical exercise.
4. I agree I will be an "ambassador" of the Chinook dog, providing information about the breed, presenting my dogs and myself as positive as I can, for they may be the first Chinooks a person meets.
1. I agree to exhibit good sportsmanship in all sports open to the Chinook and to befriend the novice or newcomer even though their dogs may be competing against mine.
2. Whether my type of dog wins or not, I agree to keep an open mind and learn about why a certain type of Chinook may have won or not.
3. In any type of competition, I agree to hold my Chinook’s safety, mental well being and health more important than any win or gain, and will not intentionally put my Chinook in a harmful situation.
Signature ___________________________________________ Date _______________
Signature ____________________________________________ Date _______________
Printed Name (s) ___________________________________________________________
This Code of Ethics is intended as an expression of goals for the Chinook owner. It is not to be construed as a rule or regulation to be enforced by punishment. Owners are expected to implement these guidelines in a civil and responsible manner.