Article ideas for website & Chinook Quarterly (CQ)

Home Forums COA Member Forums Happy Tails – General Member Discussions Article ideas for website & Chinook Quarterly (CQ)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  COA Webmaster 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

COA Webmaster
    Keymaster

So here is the million dollar question…what do you want to see on this site? A few ideas are listed below and let’s use this topic for members to submit their ideas.

• Who’s who of everyone on the Board
    • Member articles talking about their Chinook(s)
    • Articles about children and their relationship with their Chinook
    • Article about new Chinook Breed Conservation Program litter(s)
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  COA Webmaster.

Christopher Appoldt
    Participant

Hm! I love the reader-submitted CQ stories about Chinooks – could create a topic list, there, for submissions. Funniest story, anecdotes such as “You know it’s a Chinook when…”

One of the daily facets of owning our Chinook, Kaya, is exercising her so that both we’re ALL content with her energy levels. Whether it’s an everyday Tuesday, a rainy Saturday, or a vacation with the family? Kaya needs to get out and exercise. How does everyone else approach this need in the breed?

This topic could see refinement: hiking with your dog, skijoring, bikejoring, sledding, along with how-tos or resources for getting started with equipment guides, online resources. Weave in WDP certificates…

Articles on how to get your Chinook in the water, playing fetch, tricks, etc.

Maybe a piece on artists, photographers, or art/photography in general that specializes in/on dogs.

Travel tips

Taylor Scanlon
    Participant

My initial suggestion is about using the CQ as a way to build more public awareness for the breed. Unless I’m mistaken (and I totally might be), the CQ is currently available exclusively to COA members.

I was wondering if it would be possible to publish a yearly or twice a year public issue of the CQ and post it to the COA website and social media sites. We could include general information about the breed, personal stories, fun facts, and photos, as well as planned litter announcements. This would hopefully drive interest in the breed up, and make the community aspect of Chinooks that much more evident.

As far as article ideas, training aspects would be a really good idea. Maybe an ‘ask a breeder’ column?

COA Webmaster
    Keymaster

All great ideas! Chris, the “You know it’s a Chinook when…” could be a recurring article that we get different members to right about the silliness (or other personality traits) of their Chinook.

Taylor, in the past we made each previous edition of the CQ (not the current one, but the one before) available in its entirety to non-members. Building the new website took a lot of work and the CQ suffered a bit in that process.

With the new website, we are trying to figure out what should be available online… My initial thoughts are the things like what you both are saying would be articles (hopefully with some nice pictures) on the website, and then some of those can be put together all in one nice package in the CQ (maybe with a member-exclusive article or something).

For an ‘ask a breeder’ column, I think that could be a good recurring series type of article or it could be a topic in the forums…or both! For the article, breeders could write articles from time to time about questions they commonly get asked. For the forum, members could post and ask questions.

Any other members want to weigh in?

Jude Griffin
    Participant

Maybe an FAQ on participating in premier/specialty. Kind of overwhelming for a newbie.

Victoria Bunty
    Participant

I think it is very difficult to navigate this forum. I like hearing about what people are doing with their dogs, what awards they are receiving etc.
    Other than the breeding registry (which I am wondering why breeders must pay additional fees for membership).
    Isn’t the goal to have good solid healthy Chinooks on the ground?
    FB seems to be a better forum to find info and post info on what’s going on in our close-knit group.
    This forum needs to be easier to navigate and easier to post to. IMHO

COA Webmaster
    Keymaster

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for posting! The forums are meant to be a bit more focused on specific topics that members are interested in talking about. They are focused and searchable and any member can create any topic they’d like to hear other members discuss. Facebook is great, but is a bit more of a free-for-all (which has its benefits as well). While not officially sanctioned by the COA, the Chinook Fun Spot Facebook group is an excellent place to see and share more random Chinook information.

Right now, we are still waiting to see how the membership will decide to use these forums. The format of this forum is fairly typical (for a forum), so I’m interested to hear any additional thoughts you may have about ease of navigation and posting.

Regarding Stud and Breeder memberships: when a member signs up to be a Stud or Breeder member, they have additional functions allowing them to advertise their studs, kennel, and litters (depending on membership level).

We are also looking to have additional articles that may be of interest to you and other members in the future.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.