Let’s Talk Mushing

Home Forums COA Member Forums Working Dog Let’s Talk Mushing

This topic contains 97 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Kay Lee Brown 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author

@kris wrote:

Thanks Dan,
    We are finally having wonderful, glorious SNOW, SNOW, SNOW!! It won’t last long, but I am on winter break and plan on heading out tomorrow if possible! Thanks for the info on races. Will check the website, but most of the races in our area have been cancelled due to lack of snow and unsafe ice. Many of the regional “real” mushers go to the same place we do. Was always intimidated until I spoke with one of them and he and his wife were nice as could be. I imagine it will be very busy tomorrow and Friday. As my guys are not as well trained, try to go in the off times. However, other mushers say not to worry – we will go around you. I love what you are doing and all your accomplishments. Hope to get there in the future, but for now just doing our best and loving every minute!
    Kris

Woot! Snow! Our snow level dropped to 500′ briefly today. 🙂 Who cares that it’s supposed to hit 60 this weekend, I’ll be at Mt Bachelor for another race!

That’s the thing I’ve found about the ‘real’ mushers, regardless of anything else, they’re always eager to talk dogs and mushing. And, you shouldn’t worry about your guys, that kind of passing experience is invaluable. You’re actually doing them a favor!

Check out the head on passing in this video- the junior racer at our club event… She handled herself like a pro!

[YouTube][/YouTube]

Hmmm… I must be doing something wrong with the embedding…

Here’s the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6HwoiVIFEw

Kensie is awesome- unflappable!

Kris Holleran
    Participant

Awesome video, what a terrific girl! We couldn’t get to Auburn today, (roads too bad) but went to a rec area to practice.

Things learned:
    Tibbs needs more work on a gang-line – can you say “tangles”?
    Excess stress on necklines (due to above) stops Huck in his tracks – no way no how
    Birr would rather run with Tibbs than alone
    Tibbs would like to run forever with Birr and thinks short distances are a real rip-off
    Birr is improving on his gee-(a)rounds and haw-(a) rounds.
    I can handle three dogs without help in a very isolated and controlled situation

In retrospect – a better day than originally thought. Am sure tomorrow will be much more fun as we will get to Auburn, but perhaps not as educational!

Kris

Kay Lee Brown
    Participant

Somehow a left click made my first attempt at this post dissapear. If it shows up again, just ignore it and chalk it up to an old lady trying to work in cyberspace.

We have snow – lots of snow! Unfortunately I did not get pictures of my dogs aiming to go under the downed tree with a live powerline tangled in it’s branches. The power company trucks really distroyed my sledding trail but restoring electricty is probably a good tradeoff. (I do have lots of other pictures on my blog however.)

Kris, are you in Auburn Wa?

Dan,
    Love the video of Kelly. When I skijored I was always afraid of cloth-lining someone.
    I noticed that the gangline on Kelly’s sled was quite long. Your video shows that you don’t use one between the wheel dog tugs and the biener. I have a 2′ bungie spacer between my biener and the wheel tug lines. My sled also has a bungie system so it is redundant that way. No one has ever told me where to attach the wheel dog tugs and why. I added the spacer gangline because I was afraid I was too close to the wheel dogs, but I don’t know how it is affecting my steering.

What is the best way to attach wheel dog tug lines? Anyone?

Anonymous

Kris,

I was interested to hear that stress on the neckline makes Huck stop in his tracks. I think this is happening to Sierra as well. We hooked our two up together at the winter carnival and Sierra would all of a sudden dig in and refuse to go forward. This is unlike her and we were worried being in harness or pulling had all of a sudden become an issue. We skijored this Friday though with one dog for each human and Sierra seemed like she was back to her old self (still struggling with her on-bys but fun nonetheless). Nia seems to prefer a faster pace than Sierra and my theory is that being dragged by her neck line is causing her to stop moving. I am wondering if putting the two in single file might work better but we don’t have a line designed to do that yet. Hearing your experience makes me think that could be the issue and a new set-up might be worth a shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Melissa

@Kay Lee wrote:

What is the best way to attach wheel dog tug lines? Anyone?

On the sled, I like keeping the wheel dogs fairly close, helps on the more technical trails. My sled has a bungie system built in too. On the ATV, I add a heavy duty bungie in between it and the dogs to take some of the weight of the puppies.

@MelissaD wrote:

Nia seems to prefer a faster pace than Sierra and my theory is that being dragged by her neck line is causing her to stop moving. I am wondering if putting the two in single file might work better but we don’t have a line designed to do that yet. Hearing your experience makes me think that could be the issue and a new set-up might be worth a shot.

Melissa

That’s a pretty good possible diagnosis of the situation, specially if Nia is newer to running. It’s important to keep your pace set to the slowest dog, otherwise, they will get dragged, and being oppositional, they’ll tend to dig in, making it worse. As she get’s more comfortable, I’m guessing the situation will remedy itself as she gains confidence.

If you have access to an older trained sled dog, he/she could help Nia gain that confidence.

When scootering I put Parker behind Kenna, instead of side by side, he’s faster than she is, and hates to be behind her. 🙂 makes for a fast run.

You can set up a skijoring line with an extra tug to get the dogs single file.

We ran our last race of the season this weekend. It was a great event sponsored by the Pacific Sled Dog and Skijoring Association at Bachelor Butte in central OR.

It was a beautiful trail but unseasonably warm, which certainly effected our times, didn’t do as well as last week, but had a great time trying!

Here’s some pictures-
    [attachment=1:3btjvmgm]BBDD.jpg[/attachment:3btjvmgm]
    [attachment=2:3btjvmgm]BBDD (1).jpg[/attachment:3btjvmgm]
    [attachment=0:3btjvmgm]BBDD (2).jpg[/attachment:3btjvmgm]

Kay Lee Brown
    Participant

Dan,
    Love your pictures. What fun seeing Nooks in harness. I was thinking about you today. It must have been really crusty snow and warm. Polly RIley sent me the race results this afternoon. You had a big, local group you were racing against. It looks like it was close racing. You were less than a minute overall behind the team that placed ahead of you. Way to go.

@Kay Lee wrote:

Dan,
    Love your pictures. What fun seeing Nooks in harness. I was thinking about you today. It must have been really crusty snow and warm. Polly RIley sent me the race results this afternoon. You had a big, local group you were racing against. It looks like it was close racing. You were less than a minute overall behind the team that placed ahead of you. Way to go.

Thanks Kay Lee!
    Yes, this time around we were up against some real competition, both from the local club and our club. Considering, we did fairly well, we made up some time from saturday.

The conditions weren’t great for us, it was very warm by the time we went out- and parts of the exposed areas were pretty mushy.

But, the sun was shining, the dogs were happy and the snowmobile club gave us a great lunch on sunday!

You going to come to Sisters for the Mush w/o Slush run? That might be a good time for the 12 dog Chinook team picture!

Kay Lee Brown
    Participant

Dan,
    I definately plan on being at Mush Without Slush. It was the highlight of my year last year. The trails are really fun. I can’t totally commit though. My dad is in hospice and both Cedar and Koyuk may be in heat that weekend. As you know my dogs have problems interacting appropriately with other dogs. I am not looking forward to having Willy feeling he has to protect his girls. It may be that I just bring the girls and stick to the one mile or hook them up with yours for the longer runs. McKenzie will be left at home. I don’t remember if you have a rig. You are more than welcome to use mine if you would like.

Too much fresh snow not to run! First time we’ve ran just our two dogs on the sled, and first time Lindsay has gone out solo.

All in all, a good run!

[vimeo:2loxu8v0][/vimeo:2loxu8v0]

Kay Lee Brown
    Participant

Way too much fun Dan and Lindsay. I am bummed my dogs have been so sick. I really want to get to the snow with them. They have been down and out for almost five days with what ever they got. They should be well enough tomorrow but I don’t want to push it too hard before they get their full strenth back. Snow is predicted here tonight and tomorrow. Maybe I can get some drieway runs in.

Kay Lee,
    What’s wrong with your dogs? Nothing serious I hope.

I was going to cut back on running, but it’s hard to resist all this new snow!

Kay Lee Brown
    Participant

After a lot of thought I have come to the conclusion that on March 6 someone poached a deer and left the guts. My dogs then got into them. My first indication was that Willy threw up a huge amount of fresh, bloody meat the color of kidneys with what I thought were worms – big worms. I rushed him to the vet. Before we started the spendy de-worming of all the dogs the vet checked the sample I brought. Not worms – intestines. The new grad vet wanted to take another look. I got a call later – intestines and a penis.
    Because they have not passed any hair or bone, I don’t think it was an animal kill or that they killed the deer. Based on the amount of vomiting and days of diarrhea, the vet thinks that what they did not throw up colonized in thier guts. Thursday, the 15th McKenzie was noodle legs and could not get up. Back to the vet with her and for more antbiotics for everyone. They have been on (and loving) boiled chicken or venison and white rice diet. This morning was their first real dog food.
    We are not over the bug yet. I have about an inch of new snow but the dogs don’t even want to be out in it. I hope they are well and strong enough for the Mush Without Slush and maybe some spring sledding at Ray Benson.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.