Let’s Talk Mushing

Home Forums COA Member Forums Working Dog Let’s Talk Mushing

This topic contains 97 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Kay Lee Brown 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

We went to the Pacific Sled Dog and Skijoring Assoc’s “Mush without Slush” dry land race in Central OR this weekend, it was a lot of fun and a great way to end the season. There was a total of 5 chinooks there!

Here’s a picture of Lindsay and our team taking off-
    [attachment=0:13lzlc01]lindsay-team 048.jpg[/attachment:13lzlc01]

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

Speaking of mushing, if you’re interested in trying it out, the Cascade Sled Dog Club here in NW Oregon is having a pull training clinic on 4/21. It’s a great way to try out the gear, and learn how to train your dog for basic pulling-

More info at http://www.cascadesleddogclub.com/spring-2012-pull-training-clinic.html or email me for more info.

Actually we had 6 Chinooks at the Mush Without Slush. Dan and Lindsays dogs were wonderful and did a great job showing off the breed. My team of two girls with PMS were a bit slow and cranky – really bitchy actually. If I could figure out how to put a picture here, I could post the one we took of all 6 Chinooks.

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

Yes… there was *six* chinooks!
    [attachment=0:36sn7ii7]20120401_229 (1).jpg[/attachment:36sn7ii7]

Kim Kramer
    Participant

GREAT PHOTO!! 😀

@Silvertree wrote:

Yes… there was *six* chinooks!

Anonymous

Show off post

I’ve got my new scooter 😀
    Look how bright and awesome she is.
    Really impressed with how it rode today.
    (Not very impressed with how the dog went 😆 )

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

Nice!

Um… no front brake? 😯

Anonymous

Pretty normal not to have front brakes here.
    My old (stolen) scooter did not have them.
    And all our clubs loan scooters have had the front brakes detached.
    Too many novice drivers coming over the front of the bars.

What’s the dryland racing scene like in the US?
    Is it a popular?

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

@Esky the Husky wrote:

What’s the dryland racing scene like in the US?
    Is it a popular?

I think it is pretty popular, although I don’t really compete in it. The races come pretty early in the season (for us) and I’d be concerned about someone getting hurt. We do a lot of dryland training though! Who knows, if the current weather patterns hold, maybe we will be doing more dryland stuff!

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

Speaking of dryland- We got our new team together, and a new (to use) motorless ATV!

Anonymous

Dan,

Are the dogs supposed to pull the ATV? Or is that act as a support vehicle or something?

Anonymous

Oh nevermind.. I see that there is a slider thing and Lo, the whole picture comes forth! 😉 Do you even have an engine in that thing?

Anonymous

Holy cow it’s been snowing here in South Australia.
    Nevermind the fact that we never get snow here.
    But it’s also the middle of spring.

Loving it. Needless to say I’m a total sucker taking advantage of the freezing weather and I’ve taken the dog out for a run yesterday and today!
    So exciting 🙂

How about you guys on the other side of the road, have you got snow yet?

@Silvertree wrote:

Speaking of dryland- We got our new team together, and a new (to use) motorless ATV!

Dan,
    Nice ride. Remember my rig – the one you called a death trap? It has been almost totally rebuilt, the frame straightened and reinforced, and it now has 4 wheels. The brakes go on this weekend. It is probably 10 pounds lighter and should be so much faster, safer and hopefully actually have brakes that work.

What schedule do you use for first of season training? I would like to get Cedar and Koyuk in running form by La Pine but I don’t want to over do it. After being so ill this summer, they are pretty much out of shape. Willy was my lead dog. It will be interesting to see how Koyuk does up front.

Dan Silvertree
    Participant

@Kay Lee wrote:

What schedule do you use for first of season training? I would like to get Cedar and Koyuk in running form by La Pine but I don’t want to over do it. After being so ill this summer, they are pretty much out of shape. Willy was my lead dog. It will be interesting to see how Koyuk does up front. [/color]

I’d start slow, maybe 2.5/3 miles with lots of breaks. Are you getting rain? It’s been pretty dusty here, up until today. 🙂

We’ve been doing 3-4 mile runs, this weekend we’ll start ramping up. I’d like to be up to 8-10 miles by mid November.

I think we’ll have a pretty good turn out of Chinooks at Lapine this year!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.